Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Yonkers, NY 3-20-2013

3-20-2013


Hola, todas las personas que estan leyendo esta carta! Como les van? This week has been hard,with a lot of surprises, but so spiritual as well. I'm going to write the email using my journal and my other journal, the daily planner, haha, and then write the personals. So basically, Elder Picard and I have been on fire in Yonkers. This week was great, but not so great all at the same time, but I love working hard with him, and he's always saying that he's been glad to work with me. We work real well with each other.

So, Thursday, 3/14. Thursdays are our planning days. If we didn't have this day and the many hours it takes to do all the planning for the upcoming week we would die. It was something like 3 of 4 hours of calling and writing in the early afternoon until we had our night appts. You have to, especially in New York, plan things earlier for alter because everyone's always doing something here, and at a million miles an hour. But, after that, we went and got some food from Delfia, then we went and put up English flyers. Putting up English flyers is one of my favorite things to do because the people love it. The store owners, well the SPANISH ones, say that we;re the best for doing what we do, and to put up the flyer wherever we want because they know a ton of people who could use it. And then other people ask us about it all while we're doing it and we hand out the little flyers and get to talking to other people, and it's just freaking great. I'm already picking up the slang it's fantastic. Que transista por tus veinas? (What flows through your veins, or kinda like what's happening) Sangre, haha, (blood)! Or Cogelo suave, which literally means to suck it smoothly, but if you say it to a Puerto Rican, it means take it easy haha. Anyways, after we did the flyers, we went to the church and taught Sister Rodak's nephew who's a less active named Ernesto. We taught him all in English and we taught about the sacrament. It was a beautiful lesson, and he loved talking with me man. We talked after, just him and I, for like 45 mins to an hour about life and the gospel. We're going to try hard to get him back to church especially for Judy. Mom, you'll be happy to know that Judy, so far my favorite member who prefers talking in English although we do both, jokes around with us and talks with us so similarly to how we talk and joke around. It's definitely not entirely the same, but it makes me happy on FHE when we see her, and when we see her all the time at other places and I get that reminder of you (:

Friday, 3/15, was a hard day. 2 of our 3 appts fell through, and we had to do an APF for the English elders (we had to go and get them investigators because they don't have many, basically). We did it in their area in Scarsdale and New Rochelle, and I feel bad for them man. The English elders get so much more rejection, whereas the Spanish culture is just so much more accepting. Elder Cox and I went around and were yelled at, threatened, slammed on, laughed at, and all by the rich, white people. The Carrpios though, at the end of Elder Picard's and my day saved it. Heidi and Elvis are the parents and then they have four kids. This family has just been reactivated by us, just cause Elder Picard and I are cool (; , and they're awesome. Elvis is hilarious, always cracking us up and working hard, always willing to do service. Heidi works real hard doing other jobs and taking care of their four kids who I love. They all speak English real well, and we shared a message about families and the gospel of Jesus Christ. We teach quite a bit in English actually, which is nice but frustrating as well. They all love us and we love them.

Saturday, 3/16, another hard cold day. We were on bikes that day, and everyone cancelled except for a new investigator, Socrates. This guy is a boss, was baptized Catholic but is looking for something more. Huh! I think we can probably do something for him! (: He made the day a million times better.

Sunday, 3/17, my first Sunday! I didn't go to my first one because I was still real sick. Sundays are nuts though!!!!! The first thing Bishop did on the stand was tell me to come up, introduce myself, and bear my testimony. Little nerve wracking but it went well, ha. Then the other 4 hours that we were at church just flew by. The classes went quick and were good, and we stayed after and chatted and taught a lesson to a boy named Andy. He is 14, was referred by his friend Giovanni who is a member there and who was also recently baptized. The lesson was fantastic, and he accepted a bap date of April 7th! Woo-hoo! I can't wait, I hope he keeps it!

The rest of the week was alright, but Monday we had a huge snowstorm, Tuesday I got to go to the temple for a training meeting, so travelling to Manhattan was awesome!

I love you all, thank you for all the prayers and thoughts, I've definitely felt them.

Elder Buckley

No comments:

Post a Comment