Thursday, February 14, 2013

Half way through the MTC


Holy smokes, I can't even believe I'm halfway through my 6 week MTC experience, it's freaking unbelievable! I'm loving my district, loving the Spanish language, and loving life because, well, how couldn't I? I've been realizing more and more each day that I have been given so much throughout my life, now it's my turn to give, to the already wonderful people  of New York(: So, it's so hard to write a cohesive letter because there has been so much going on, and 30 minutes to do it is INSANE, but I'll try my best(: One of the Elders in my district and in my room is Elder Sprunt. He's been struggling with the language and with homesickness, and we love him and wish for him to stay. For those of you who read this who want to, please pray for him for strength and a clear mind to make the best decision for himself. Also, Hermana Peterson in our zone is having to go home because of illness and will have to be reassigned ): Made me think pretty hard about some of my feelings, and it made me even more greatful that I'm here, with health and happiness. I'm doing and progressing so much more than I have been and it's making me pretty happy. I've got the purpose, baptismal invitation and the first vision memorized in spanish, and soon to have Doctrine and Covenants 4 memorized. It's really been helpful that I'm decent at memorizing, and I'm very fast at conjugations and conversation in Spanish as well. The last few lessons with investigators have been great, I taught and conversed with an investigator a few days ago about the first vision and about gaining a testimony of it and the Book of Mormon, and she's now going to church and is probably going to commit to a baptismal date the next time we meet. Probably my best lesson yet! It was super cool because I wasn't even thinking about doing the restoration  or talking about the Book of Mormon I was going to teach about the Plan of Salvation, but I something (HG) told me not to. Freaked my companion out, because all he had practiced was the Plan haha! Also, for those of you who don't know or who haven't heard of TRC, it's what our district does on Monday mornings. We all go downstairs and there is a lesson topic for us and we just hop right in and teach a member investigator, super scary, but super fun and helpful. Elder Ficklin and I talked to a girl who used to leave in the Bronx (funny enough), and who moved out here to Utah like, 3 years ago or something like that. She talked so fast, and she asked a hard question (How come in English you say 'thee', thy' and 'thou', but in Spanish you don't?) But I explained to her that there really isn't a Spanish translation for those words and that we use "tu" instead of the formal "usted" to make it more intimate that way, and then we just talked. She loved it, my companion and I loved it, and talking conversationally was fantastic. I really didn't think I could do it, but it kinda just came. I don't know how to explain it. But it was TIGHT. Haha. Anyways, life here has been going pretty well. Choir is still one of my favorite things. We sing the most beautiful songs and the director explains the song and the spiritual aspects and he's got my sense of humor. AWESOME. And I am still losing weight. Haha, I'm up to 11 pounds lost, sitting here at 199. Feels good(: Also, we haven't had anyone from the Quorum of the Twelve or the Presidency come and talk to us yet (hopefully before I go), but we had Elder Schwitzer from the 70 address us, and it was amazing. Everyone thought his talk was pretty boring, but I got a lot out of it. "A missionary that teaches, but does not commit, is only a sharer of facts". HIT me HARD. It's been such a glorious time here so far, with a lot of ups, a humongous amount of downs, but the Spirit resides here like nowhere else. If you're reading this and are thinking about going on a mission, or have any questions, please write me or email me or whatever and I'd be glad to answer them! (: Oh! And I'm way super excited for Connor Ervin and Landon Boren to get here, I'm going to hug the both of them so hard (': Double oh! Since the MTC is expecting 1200 new missionaries today, our room got an extra bunk set, now we will have 6 in our room. Crazy crowded. The room barely holds 4 without bumping into each other, but I know that it'll al be alright(:


I love you all and miss you all so much, please write me if you can, I'd love to hear from you!

Elder Buckley

No comments:

Post a Comment